Saturday, August 18, 2007

Superdust/Starbad

I saw two great movies last night, Superbad and Stardust. I have to get accustomed to $11 movies here in New York, but if you pull a double feature it might make it more worth it. And everyone has bags that don't get checked, so it's easy to bring in your own food and avoid the overpriced concession stand.



I was really excited about Superbad because I love everything Seth Rogen has been in (Freaks & Geeks, Undeclared, 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up) and I knew it was just a matter of time before Jonah Hill got a lead role. He had one of the most memorable scenes in the 40 Year Old Virgin when he tried to buy some platform boots from the eBay store, and then again in Grandma's Boy when he gets to suck on a tit for 4 hours. And I love Michael Cera because of his role as George Michael Bluth in Arrested Development. I'm still sad there's not going to be more episodes of that.



So the film was great, full of raunchiness and crudeness. The main plot of the movie is score booze and try to get laid, a common goal in high school, so Disney can keep their Musical and I'll stick to this High School Comedy. Hell, I hope they make High School Comedy 2, but I'm not sure if that'll work, since they are graduating soon in Superbad. It also had great cameos from Joe Lo Truglio from The State (out on DVD soon, not sure of the exact date), Eddie from Grounded for Life, Bill from Freaks & Geeks, and Lizzie from Undeclared. This is a good movie to go to with friends or on a date (if your date is really cool and not a prude expecting a romantic comedy [actually, don't take any dates to this one]).

I wasn't really sure where the title Superbad came from, I mean, they are superbad but I don't think they ever say it in the film, but then I realized the score is totally superbadass 70s funk, all by Bootsy Collins & The Superbad Band, so that explains it enough for me. And there's great opening credits that featuring dancing silhouettes of the main stars. Really awesome.




Stardust ended up being a great film as well with an all-star cast that included Claire Danes, Robert Deniro, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Ricky Gervais. Despite looking like some epic fantasy tale, it ended up not feeling so epic (meaning it didn't drag on) and it had really funny parts throughout. It reminded me of The Princess Bride a little. The film is about a star that falls to Earth, and the people that are after her: a noble man that want to deliver her as a gift to the girl he loves, witches that want her heart for everlasting youth, and brother princes that want her necklace in order to take over the throne. I too recommend this film, but this one is more suitable for taking children or parents to.

1 comment:

Brrrduh said...

that's what they said would happen in health class.