Monday, August 20, 2007

Upright Citizens Brigade


Last night I saw A.S.S.S.S.C.A.T., an improv performance at UCB Theatre. Every Sunday the 9:30 A.S.S.S.S.C.A.T. is FREE, you just have to get there hella early to get in. We got there around 6ish, and they gave tickets out around 8:30, giving us about 45 minutes to get out of the rain and grab a bite. I had hopes of seeing Amy Poehler there (<3) but she wasn't. Instead, Jack McBrayer was there who plays Kenneth on 30 Rock and who happens to hail from Georgia.

There were funny parts and parts that just didn't flow, which is what happens in improv. We totally sat behind fucking Chevy Chase! That's right, Fletch, fucking Clark Griswold. That was really cool, despite us being too respectful to say anything to him or look him in the eye directly.

A.S.S.S.S.C.A.T. stands for Automatic Sprinkler System Shutdown Siamese Connection Alternative Theatre, which after a week in New York, I've noticed most buildings have this posted on the outside of their building, but despite standing in line for over two hours I didn't really pay attention to what was on the wall of the UCBT.

I will keep my eye out tonight when I go again to see Crash Test, FREE stand-up comedy that happens every Monday night at 11:00pm. Tonight they'll have Greg Proops (Whose Line Is It Anyway), Mike Birbiglia, John Oliver (The Daily Show), and Jon Benjamin (Coach McGuirk). I'm excited.

3 comments:

Tim said...

Chevy Chase came back two weeks later and was the monologist, actually. It was truly incredible.

Jack McBrayer as the deaf clown turned McDonalds employee turned politician was brilliant.

bestonline323 said...

I saw I saw A.S.S.S.S.C.A.T too! my friend is in it i thought it was really great!

Cheers,
Barb
Upright Solutions

benmadden.com said...

Very cool to see your post. You summed it up well - though you didn't mention Chevy totally bombed, which was my thought and the buzz I heard leaving the theater. Again, good to see this post!